Saturday, March 25, 2017

Make Like a Banana and Split

Despite my best attempts at preventing a swarm, I don't think I'm going to be able to do it without splitting.  I took the queen from the white hive and moved her and one other frame of brood into half of the resource hive (have I mentioned that I love that thing?) and added two frames of foundation.  I've heard some debate about my method from other beekeepers, but my theory behind doing it this way was that by removing the queen, the rest of the bees would think that the swarm had already left.  In a couple of days, I'll come back and cull out all but 2 or 3 queen cells to prevent them from swarming with a virgin queen.

For those of you keeping track at home, that makes three hives and a nuc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Queen, Queen, Who's got a Queen?

I'll start out by apologizing for missing a week.  I did get into the hives last week, but had a closer-than-I'm-comfortable-with br...