Tuesday, April 11, 2017

It's D-Day

Today is the day that the new local ordinances go into effect.  As of today, I have 5 "production" hives and 2 nuc/resources hives.  That means I have bees in 7 boxes with two empty slots for preventing swarms and doing other beework.  I've printed out these same pictures and had them notarized just in case I need to prove that the hives were established when the ordinance went into effect.



The outyard hives

The backyard hives

I'll admit that this really irritated me.  It was snuck in without any discussion.  It's like they thumbed through a neighboring city's laws and picked out the ones that looked good.  They could have at least looked at the laws in another neighboring city that say that hives must be kept 25' from the property line OR have a flyaway and the beekeeper must provide a water source.  At least they grandfathered in existing hives.  I've voiced my displeasure to the council member who pushed it and invited him to the house to see the hives.  He accepted, but doesn't seem to be in much hurry to make the time to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Queen, Queen, Who's got a Queen?

I'll start out by apologizing for missing a week.  I did get into the hives last week, but had a closer-than-I'm-comfortable-with br...